Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Training for a 10K

Starting this week, I'm training for the Ukrops Monument Avenue 10K in Richmond, VA on March 27th. This will be my third time running this race, and I truly believe that anyone, regardless of age or fitness level, can run 6.2 miles if trained properly and slowly.

Last year, my sister (the triathlete) helped develop an accelerated training schedule for me which was incredibly helpful. I had been running on this schedule: first 5 days 1 mile, next week 2 miles, etc but I felt sluggish and defeated. She introduced me to the concept of rewarding your long runs with a day off, and it kept me feeling motivated for race day.

This year I didn't procrastinate and took her accelerated schedule to slow it down for the average person (training starting this week). I'm sure others would disagree with this schedule, but I find it works for me and thought I'd share it for others if they needed a place to start. I'm currently running one mile after a long running hiatus, but I started this for the non-runner at the very beginning (a very good place to start).

Week 1
Day One: .25 miles
Day Two: .5 miles
Day Three: walk a mile at accelerated pace
Day Four: Off
Day Five: .25 miles
Day Six: .5 - .75 miles (it's the first week...you can start slow)
Day Seven: Off (but walk to stretch out)

Week 2
Day One: .5 miles
Day Two: .75 miles
Day Three: walk a mile at accelerated pace
Day Four: Off
Day Five: .5 miles
Day Six: 1 mile
Day Seven: Off (but walk to stretch out)

Week 3
Day One: .75 miles
Day Two: 1 mile
Day Three: .5 miles
Day Four: Off
Day Five: .75 miles
Day Six: 1.25 miles
Day Seven: Off (but walk to stretch out)

Week 4
Day One: .75 mile
Day Two: 1.25 miles
Day Three: .5 mile
Day Four: Off
Day Five: 1 mile
Day Six: 1.75 miles
Day Seven: Off (but walk to stretch out)

Week 5
Day One: 1.25 miles
Day Two: 1.5 miles
Day Three: 1 mile
Day Four: Off
Day Five: 1.25 miles
Day Six: 2 miles
Day Seven: Off (but walk to stretch out)

Week 7
Day One: 1.5 mile
Day Two: 2 miles
Day Three: 1 mile
Day Four: Off
Day Five: 1 mile
Day Six: 2.5 miles
Day Seven: Off (but walk to stretch out)

Week 8
Day One: 2 miles
Day Two: 2.25 miles
Day Three: 1.5 miles
Day Four:Off
Day Five: 2 miles
Day Six: 3 miles
Day Seven: Off (but walk to stretch out)

Week 9
Day One: 2.5 miles
Day Two: 2 miles
Day Three: 1.5 miles
Day Four: Off
Day Five: 2 miles
Day Six: 3.5
Day Seven: Off (but walk to stretch out)

Week 10
Day One: 2.5 miles
Day Two: 3.25 miles
Day Three: 2 miles
Day Four: Off
Day Five: 2.5 miles
Day Six: 4 miles
Day Seven: Off (but walk to stretch out)

Week 11
Day One: 3 miles
Day Two: 3.5 miles
Day Three: 2.5 miles
Day Four: Off
Day Five: 4.75 miles or 5 miles (if you can handle 5)
Day Six: 2 miles
Day Seven: Off

Week 12
Day One: 3 miles
Day Two: 5 or 5.5 miles
Day Three: Off
Day Four: 1 mile
Day Five: Rest up!

You can easily run 6.2 miles on race day if you can run between 4-5 miles fairly easily before then.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Woo hoo! You're back!